Faith Based Judgment With Permanent Consequences

by Hal Mooz 19. February 2014 19:43

Faith-Healing Parents Get Prison for Son's Death

A Pennsylvania couple who believe in faith-healing rather than modern medicine will each spend the next three and half to seven years behind bars for the death of their 8-month-old son, the second time one of their ill children died without seeing a doctor. Philadelphia Common Pleas Judge Benjamin Lerner told Herbert and Catherine Schaible on Wednesday that it wasn't 8-month-old Brandon's time to die.

He said: "You've killed two of your children... not God, not your church, not religious devotion -- you." At the time, they were under court orders to seek medical care for their children after their 2-year-old son Kent died of untreated pneumonia in 2009.

“We believe in divine healing, that Jesus shed blood for our healing and that he died on the cross to break the devil's power,” Herbert Schaible said in a 2013 police statement. Medicine, he said, “is against our religious beliefs.” A jury had convicted both parents of involuntary manslaughter in Kent's death, and they were put on 10 years of probation that included orders to seek medical care if any other child got sick.

After Brandon's death, an irate judge found they had violated parole.

Prosecutors have described the boys' symptoms as “eerily similar,” and said they included labored breathing and a refusal to eat. Catherine Schaible's lawyer, though, said her client tried to feed Brandon during his illness, and applied baby powder to keep him comfortable.

Their pastor, Nelson Clark, has said the Schaibles lost their sons because of a “spiritual lack” in their lives and insisted they would not seek medical care even if another child appeared near death.
 

Tags:

Critical Doctrine Based Decision

by Hal Mooz 10. February 2014 11:05

US Suspect Possibly Targeted for Drone Attack

An American citizen who is a member of al-Qaida is actively planning attacks against Americans overseas, U.S. officials say, and the Obama administration is wrestling with whether to kill him with a drone strike and how to do so legally under its new stricter targeting policy issued last year.

The CIA drones watching him cannot strike because he's a U.S. citizen and the Justice Department must build a case against him, a task it hasn't completed.

Four U.S. officials said the American suspected terrorist is in a country that refuses U.S. military action on its soil and that has proved unable to go after him. And President Barack Obama's new policy says American suspected terrorists overseas can only be killed by the military, not the CIA, creating a policy conundrum for the White House.

But one U.S. official said the Defense Department was divided over whether the man is dangerous enough to merit the potential domestic fallout of killing an American without charging him with a crime or trying him, and the potential international fallout of such an operation in a country that has been resistant to U.S. action.

Another of the U.S. officials said the Pentagon did ultimately decide to recommend lethal action.

The officials said the suspected terrorist is well-guarded and in a fairly remote location, so any unilateral attempt by U.S. troops to capture him would be risky and even more politically explosive than a U.S. missile strike.

Under new guidelines Obama addressed in a speech last year to calm anger overseas at the extent of the U.S. drone campaign, lethal force must only be used "to prevent or stop attacks against U.S. persons, and even then, only when capture is not feasible and no other reasonable alternatives exist to address the threat effectively." The target must also pose "a continuing, imminent threat to U.S. persons" — the legal definition of catching someone in the act of plotting a lethal attack.

http://www.nbcnews.com/#/news/world/us-suspect-possibly-targeted-drone-attack-n26211

Tags:

Addiction Based Judgement and Permanent Outcome

by Hal Mooz 27. January 2014 11:46

Actor who played Marlboro Man in ads dies from smoking-related disease

Eric Lawson, a working actor who portrayed the Marlboro Man in cigarette ads during the late 1970s, has died. He was 72. The cause was respiratory failure due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD.

The ruggedly handsome Lawson portrayed the smoking cowboy in Marlboro print ads from 1978 to 1981. A smoker since age 14, Lawson later appeared in an anti-smoking commercial that parodied the Marlboro Man and an "Entertainment Tonight" segment to discuss the negative effects of smoking.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/27/22459778-actor-who-played-marlboro-man-in-ads-dies-from-smoking-related-disease?lite=

Tags:

Parasailing - A Permanent Type of Decision

by Hal Mooz 23. January 2014 14:07

Can something go bad? Can the outcome be permanent?

Teen injured in parasailing accident: I won't watch footage 

Six months after a terrifying ordeal caught on home video that nearly killed Alexis Fairchild, the Indiana teen is taking baby steps to piece her life back together. Doctors feared the 17-year-old would never walk again after a parasailing accident last July in Panama City, Fla., with her friend, Sidney Good. The two girls were tethered together when their tow line to the boat snapped. Wind gusts then blew them away, slamming them into a 13-story building, then into power lines before they plummeted into parked cars below.

Alexis suffered traumatic injuries to her brain and has had three cranial surgeries in the past six months. She also has had surgery on her back.

Parasailing is not regulated in Florida, something they learned after their daughter’s accident. The family is suing the parasail company and the resort that arranged the activity.

http://www.today.com/news/teen-injured-parasailing-accident-i-wont-watch-footage-2D11980035#teen-injured-parasailing-accident-i-wont-watch-footage-2D11980035

Tags:

Perk Based Deception Decision

by Hal Mooz 23. January 2014 11:48

DOJ accuses firm that vetted Snowden of faking 665,000 background checks

As Edward Snowden prepares to defend himself in a worldwide webinar Thursday, the Justice Department is accusing the private contractor that vetted him and thousands of other intelligence workers of bilking U.S. taxpayers out of tens of millions of dollars by conducting phony background checks.

USIS, the giant private contractor that conducted the background checks of both Snowden and Washington Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis, is accused in a Justice Department lawsuit filed Wednesday night of conducting 665,000 fake background checks between 2008 and 2012.

“USIS management devised and executed a scheme to deliberately circumvent contractually required quality reviews of completed background investigations in order to increase the company’s revenues and profits,” said the Justice Department in its complaint, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Alabama.

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/23/22401812-doj-accuses-firm-that-vetted-snowden-of-faking-665000-background-checks?lite

Tags:

Permanent Error with consequences

by Hal Mooz 14. January 2014 08:30

Beanie Babies billionaire to be sentenced

Ty Warner, the billionaire creator of Beanie Babies, may have to spend up to five years behind bars for evading taxes. The billionaire creator of Beanie Babies steps before a federal judge Tuesday to learn if he'll have to spend up to five years behind bars for evading taxes on $25 million in income.

H. Ty Warner's sentencing will also give him a chance to apologize at length for hiding his millions in Swiss bank accounts. The 69-year-old apologized and wiped away tears when he pleaded guilty last year. But the judge in Chicago stopped him and said he could explain himself fully at sentencing.

Defense attorneys argue for probation, pointing to Warner's unhappy childhood and his charity work. But prosecutors say Warner should spend some time in prison; they don't recommend how much.

A government filing says about Warner's philanthropy: "Charity is not a get-out-jail card."

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/beanie-babies-billionaire-to-be-sentenced

Tags:

Greed Driven Permanent Error

by Hal Mooz 23. December 2013 14:15

Ex-Tiffany exec gets year in prison for $2 million jewelry theft

A former Tiffany & Co executive will spend a year and a day in prison for stealing and re-selling more than $2.1 million of jewelry from the store's famed Fifth Avenue location in Manhattan. Ingrid Lederhaas-Okun, 46, a former vice president of product development, delivered a tearful apology as she expressed to a federal judge her regret for the years-long theft from her longtime employer.

"I can't express my remorse enough," Lederhaas-Okun said.

U.S. District Judge Paul G. Gardephe said before handing down the sentence that it was impossible to know what set Lederhaas-Okun on a path of "self-destruction which could only have one outcome — disaster." The judge said she deserved more than six months because of how long the thefts went on and the fact that she tried to resell some of the jewelry.

"This was not a crime of impulse," he said. "The defendant made many bad decisions over many years."

Gardephe also ordered Lederhaas-Okun to forfeit more than $2.11 million to the government and pay $2.24 million in restitution, an amount sought by Tiffany.

By her own lawyer's account, Lederhaas-Okun engaged in the first of many thefts in 2005, taking a pendant from Tiffany, where she worked since 1991. In the years that followed, Lederhaas-Okun would steal jewelry and sell it, pocketing the money for herself, prosecutors say. The government says the jewelry included bracelets, earrings and pendants made of diamonds, platinum and gold.

Prosecutors say she was able to engage in the theft undetected for so long because Lederhaas-Okun's position enabled her to take jewelry from the store and write it off inventory.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/23/22023477-ex-tiffany-exec-gets-year-in-prison-for-2-million-jewelry-theft?lite

 

Tags:

Perk Based Judgment Rooted In Greed

by Hal Mooz 18. December 2013 11:31

Climate change expert sentenced to 32 months for fraud, says lying was a 'rush'

The EPA’s highest-paid employee and a leading expert on climate change was sentenced to 32 months in federal prison Wednesday for lying to his bosses and saying he was a CIA spy working in Pakistan so he could avoid doing his real job. John C. Beale’s crimes were “inexplicable” and “egregious," said Judge Ellen Huvelle in imposing the sentence in a Washington. D.C. federal court. Beale has also agreed to pay $1.3 million in restitution and forfeiture to the government.

Beale said he was ashamed of his lies about working for the CIA. “Why did I do this? Greed – simple greed – and I’m ashamed of that greed,” Beale told the court. He also said it was possible that he got a “rush” and a “sense of excitement" by telling people he was worked for the CIA. “It was something like an addiction,” he said.

When Huvelle asked Beale what he was doing instead of going to work, he said, "I spent time exercising. I spent a lot of time working on my house."

Prosecutor Jim Smith said Beale's crimes made him a "poster child for what is wrong with government."

Beale pled guilty in September to bilking the government out of nearly $1 million in salary and other benefits over a decade. He perpetrated his fraud largely by failing to show up at the EPA for months at a time, including one 18-month stretch starting in June 2011 when he did “absolutely no work,” as his lawyer acknowledged in a sentencing memo filed last week.

When he first began looking into Beale’s deceptions last February, said EPA Assistant Inspector General Patrick Sullivan, who spearheaded the Beale probe, “I thought, ‘Oh my God, How could this possibly have happened in this agency? … I’ve worked for the government for 35 years. I’ve never seen a situation like this.”

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/18/21943533-climate-change-expert-sentenced-to-32-months-for-fraud-says-lying-was-a-rush?lite

Tags:

Permanent Error Photos and Perk Based Extortion

by Hal Mooz 10. December 2013 20:56

Revenge porn and extortion scheme uncovered in California

A California man was charged Tuesday with running a nationwide revenge porn site — and a second website used to extort tens of thousands of dollars from victims desperate to have their pictures removed, officials said. Kevin Bollaert, 27, the alleged co-founder of ugotposted.com and changemyreputation.com, was arrested after a five-month probe and hit with 31 counts of conspiracy and other felonies. His attorney could not be reached for comment.

But court papers say he told an investigator he knew "lives are getting ruined." "I feel bad about the whole thing and like I just don't want to do it anymore," the San Diego man allegedly said.

The first site allowed users to post sexually explicit photos of people without their permission, and required them to include the victim's full name, location, age and Facebook profile, prosecutors said. The site would then direct victims to changemyreputation.com, which offered to remove the pictures for a fee of up to $350, prosecutors said.

California Attorney General Kamala Harris said forensic investigators discovered tens of thousands of dollars in payments to a PayPal account linked to email for the site. "This website published intimate photos of unsuspecting victims and turned their public humiliation and betrayal into a commodity with the potential to devastate lives,” she said in a statement.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/10/21852765-revenge-porn-and-extortion-scheme-uncovered-in-california?lite

Tags:

Permanent Error Photos and Perk Based Extortion

by Hal Mooz 10. December 2013 20:56

Revenge porn and extortion scheme uncovered in California

A California man was charged Tuesday with running a nationwide revenge porn site — and a second website used to extort tens of thousands of dollars from victims desperate to have their pictures removed, officials said. Kevin Bollaert, 27, the alleged co-founder of ugotposted.com and changemyreputation.com, was arrested after a five-month probe and hit with 31 counts of conspiracy and other felonies. His attorney could not be reached for comment.

But court papers say he told an investigator he knew "lives are getting ruined." "I feel bad about the whole thing and like I just don't want to do it anymore," the San Diego man allegedly said.

The first site allowed users to post sexually explicit photos of people without their permission, and required them to include the victim's full name, location, age and Facebook profile, prosecutors said. The site would then direct victims to changemyreputation.com, which offered to remove the pictures for a fee of up to $350, prosecutors said.

California Attorney General Kamala Harris said forensic investigators discovered tens of thousands of dollars in payments to a PayPal account linked to email for the site. "This website published intimate photos of unsuspecting victims and turned their public humiliation and betrayal into a commodity with the potential to devastate lives,” she said in a statement.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/10/21852765-revenge-porn-and-extortion-scheme-uncovered-in-california?lite

Tags:

About Hal Mooz

Engineer, Project Manager, Entrepreneur, Author, Trainer, Lecturer, Thought Leader, Consultant

Month List

RecentPosts