Trying To Overcome A Permanent Error

by Hal Mooz 26. February 2014 11:33

Paula Deen on losing 'everything': 'I'm still alive'

Paula Deen says she hopes her new business venture will help reclaim her once lucrative brand name, along with her personal reputation. "I'm fighting to get my name back,"  The celebrity cook known for her Southern dishes lost nearly all of her multimillion-dollar endorsement deals last summer after admitting in a court deposition that she had used the “n-word” in the past.

Deen later apologized through a series of YouTube videos, and an appearance on TODAY but the former “queen of butter” said she was stung by the backlash she received from people who questioned her sincerity. She said there were days last summer when she struggled to get out of bed.

Last weekend, the 67-year-old former Food Network star issued another public apology during a live cooking demonstration in Florida.

"I have heard on more than one occasion ... that I've never apologized,” she told the crowd Sunday at the South Beach Wine and Food Festival. “So if anybody did not hear me apologize, I would like to apologize to those who did not hear me."

Earlier this month, Deen announced her newly formed company, Paula Deen Ventures had secured between $75 million and $100 million of funding from private equity firm Najafi Cos. The venture will help restructure her brand of restaurants, cookbooks and food product endorsements.

"I used to have dreams that I lost everything," Deen tells People. "And when it finally happens, you think, 'I'm still alive.' "

http://www.today.com/food/paula-deen-losing-everything-im-still-alive-2D12172455

Tags:

Tragic Addiction Based Permanent Error

by Hal Mooz 24. February 2014 18:23

Dad Charged After SUV Runs Over Daughter on First-Date

A 12-year-old Pittsburgh girl who got out of her father's SUV to pose for photos with a boy following her first date was hit and killed by the vehicle, according to authorities — and her dad has been charged with drunken driving. Richard Benton, 53, refused field sobriety and breath tests at the scene of the crash at 8 p.m. Sunday, according to The Associated Press. Police said Benton's speech was slurred and he smelled of alcohol.  Harris was getting out of the Ford Explorer so that her parents could snap a picture of her and the boy when the SUV started rolling backward, according to the Tribune Review of Pittsburgh.

The SUV dragged her until it slammed into a tree and stopped — and she died at the scene, officials said. "He thought the vehicle was in park. In fact, it must have been out of gear and went over her, dragging her down the hill and then crashing into a yard,” Pittsburgh Police Sgt. Tom Huberin told local NBC affiliate WPXI.

http://www.nbcnews.com/#/news/us-news/dad-charged-after-suv-runs-over-daughter-first-date-n37681

Tags:

Unfortunate and Unpleasant Fact Based Decision

by Hal Mooz 21. February 2014 12:52

Detroit Files Historic Bankruptcy Blueprint

Detroit revealed its historic plan to emerge from under $18 billion in debt Friday, laying the groundwork for what’s expected to be a long, bitter battle with creditors, retirees and bondholders over the biggest municipal bankruptcy ever.

The 120-page 'plan of adjustment' could change radically as negotiations with more than 100,000 creditors move forward. It must still be approved by U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes.

A summary of the plan said it would devote $1.5 billion over 10 years to capital improvements, with up to a third of that aimed at blight removal. It also said it proposes paying general obligation creditors about 20 percent of what they are owed through the issuance of new bonds. If police and fire department retirees agree to the plan, they would receive about 90 percent of their pensions, after cutting cost of living allowances. General retirees would get about 70 percent.

The draft also detailed plans to help pensioners keep more of what they are owed by using state and private funds to protect against the sale of city-owned art at the Detroit Institute of Arts, The AP said.

Tags:

Faith Based Judgment With Permanent Consequences

by Hal Mooz 19. February 2014 19:43

Faith-Healing Parents Get Prison for Son's Death

A Pennsylvania couple who believe in faith-healing rather than modern medicine will each spend the next three and half to seven years behind bars for the death of their 8-month-old son, the second time one of their ill children died without seeing a doctor. Philadelphia Common Pleas Judge Benjamin Lerner told Herbert and Catherine Schaible on Wednesday that it wasn't 8-month-old Brandon's time to die.

He said: "You've killed two of your children... not God, not your church, not religious devotion -- you." At the time, they were under court orders to seek medical care for their children after their 2-year-old son Kent died of untreated pneumonia in 2009.

“We believe in divine healing, that Jesus shed blood for our healing and that he died on the cross to break the devil's power,” Herbert Schaible said in a 2013 police statement. Medicine, he said, “is against our religious beliefs.” A jury had convicted both parents of involuntary manslaughter in Kent's death, and they were put on 10 years of probation that included orders to seek medical care if any other child got sick.

After Brandon's death, an irate judge found they had violated parole.

Prosecutors have described the boys' symptoms as “eerily similar,” and said they included labored breathing and a refusal to eat. Catherine Schaible's lawyer, though, said her client tried to feed Brandon during his illness, and applied baby powder to keep him comfortable.

Their pastor, Nelson Clark, has said the Schaibles lost their sons because of a “spiritual lack” in their lives and insisted they would not seek medical care even if another child appeared near death.
 

Tags:

Critical Doctrine Based Decision

by Hal Mooz 10. February 2014 11:05

US Suspect Possibly Targeted for Drone Attack

An American citizen who is a member of al-Qaida is actively planning attacks against Americans overseas, U.S. officials say, and the Obama administration is wrestling with whether to kill him with a drone strike and how to do so legally under its new stricter targeting policy issued last year.

The CIA drones watching him cannot strike because he's a U.S. citizen and the Justice Department must build a case against him, a task it hasn't completed.

Four U.S. officials said the American suspected terrorist is in a country that refuses U.S. military action on its soil and that has proved unable to go after him. And President Barack Obama's new policy says American suspected terrorists overseas can only be killed by the military, not the CIA, creating a policy conundrum for the White House.

But one U.S. official said the Defense Department was divided over whether the man is dangerous enough to merit the potential domestic fallout of killing an American without charging him with a crime or trying him, and the potential international fallout of such an operation in a country that has been resistant to U.S. action.

Another of the U.S. officials said the Pentagon did ultimately decide to recommend lethal action.

The officials said the suspected terrorist is well-guarded and in a fairly remote location, so any unilateral attempt by U.S. troops to capture him would be risky and even more politically explosive than a U.S. missile strike.

Under new guidelines Obama addressed in a speech last year to calm anger overseas at the extent of the U.S. drone campaign, lethal force must only be used "to prevent or stop attacks against U.S. persons, and even then, only when capture is not feasible and no other reasonable alternatives exist to address the threat effectively." The target must also pose "a continuing, imminent threat to U.S. persons" — the legal definition of catching someone in the act of plotting a lethal attack.

http://www.nbcnews.com/#/news/world/us-suspect-possibly-targeted-drone-attack-n26211

Tags:

About Hal Mooz

Engineer, Project Manager, Entrepreneur, Author, Trainer, Lecturer, Thought Leader, Consultant

Month List

RecentPosts